|DodgeRam.info > TSB's > 09-16-94|
|Visit Geno's Garage
for Truck accessories.
Date: Sep. 23, 1994
Models: 1994 (BR) Ram Truck
NOTE: THIS BULLETIN APPLIES TO VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A 5.9L CUMMINS DIESEL ENGINE.
Vehicle operator will note a low oil level reading, at the minimum or below add, on the engine oil dipstick following engine running. This condition is due to slow oil drain back into the oil pan from the inline fuel injection pump.
NOTE: OIL LEVEL READINGS ARE MOST ACCURATE WHEN THE OIL LEVEL CHECK IS PERFORMED WHEN THE ENGINE IS COLD AND BEFORE IT IS STARTED.
Variations in oil levels may be observed if the oil check is performed on a warm engine. Engine oil should be checked on a cold engine. However, it checked on a warm or hot engine, wait a minimum of 10 minutes after engine shut down for accurate readings. The oil level will rise on the oil dipstick as the tine interval between engine stoppage and oil level check increases. This is due to the tine required for the oil to drain back to the oil pan. The rise on the oil dipstick may be one quart of oil or more.
A new dipstick has been introduced which Increases the "safe" zone on the oil dipstick to 2 quarts versus I quart. This change was accomplished by increasing the oil capacity on 1994 5.9L Cummins diesel engine to 10 quarts, 11 quarts total with oil filter. No change to the oil pan is required.
The new dipstick will reduce the chance of overfilling the oil system when checking the oil level immediately after engine shutdown.
NOTE: AFTER INSTALLING THE NEW DIPSTICK, ADD OIL ONLY WHEN THE OIL LEVEL IS AT OR BELOW THE "ADD" MARK. IF THE OIL LEVEL IS IN THE "SAFE" ZONE, NO ADDITIONAL OIL IS REQUIRED.
1. 4796874 Dipstick, 5.9L Cummins Diesel
This bulletin involves the replacement of the oil dipstick and changing to the Owners Manual engine oil capacity specifications.
1. Replace the engine oil dipstick.
2. Obtain the vehicle Owners Manual (Publication No. 81-326-9422).
3. In the 1994 manual on page 179, change the engine oil capacity to read 10 quarts. On page 135, change 1 quart to read 2 quarts in the sentence, "The total capacity from the low mark to the high mark is 2 quarts.
4. The back cover of the Owners Manual should also be changed to read 11 quarts with oil filter.
5. In the early print of the 1995 Owners Manual, it my be necessary to make the changes listed in steps 3 and 4. The corresponding pages are 143 and 186. It is not necessary to change the dipstick as all 1995 production vehicles have the new dipstick.
Policy: Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.
Labor Operation No: 09-60-40-92 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 0.2 Hrs.
P8 - New Part
Thanks to Bob Bergevin and Barry Drodge for supplying this TSB information
This page was edited on: May 3, 2004