|DodgeRam.info > TSB's > 09-04-95|
|Visit Geno's Garage
for Truck accessories.
Models: 1994-1995 (BR) Ram Truck
NOTE: THIS BULLETIN APPLIES TO VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A 5.9L DIESEL ENGINE BUILT PRIOR TO 12/l/94 (MR 12-01-XX).
Excessive oil drainage from the draft tube.
1 4798939 Sealed Tappet Cover Rubber
1 4798940 Tappet Cover Gasket
6 4429267 Grommet Seals
This bulletin involves replacing the current tappet cover with a new sealed tappet cover.
1. Disconnect the negative battery cable at both batteries.
2. Remove the fuel injection pump. If needed, reference the repair procedure beginning on Page 14-131 of the 1995 Ram Truck Service Manual (Publication No. 81-370-5108).
3. Remove the tappet cover and gasket. Remove the grommet seals from the capscrews and discard.
4. Install the new tappet cover gasket. This gasket must be installed as shown in Figure 1.
5. Install the new tappet cover with the mounting capscrews and rubber grommet seals. If the application requires a fuel drain line to be installed, use the #2 and #6 capscrews. The capscrews should be torqued in the following sequence 4, 3, 5, 2, 6, and 1 to 24 Nm (18 ft. lbs.). Torque from the inner most capscrews to the outer most.
6. Check to be sure breather tube is free of all debris and oil.
7. Install the fuel injection pump. If needed, reference the repair procedure beginning on Page 14 - 135 of the 1995 Ram Truck Service Manual (Publication No. 81-370-5108).
8. Connect the negative battery cable at both batteries.
POLICY: Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.
Labor Operation No: 09-85-05-90 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 4. 1 Hrs.
FAILURE CODE: P8 - New Part
Thanks to Barry Drodge for supplying the TSB information
This page was edited on: May 3, 2004