|DodgeRam.info > TSB's > 03-05-96|
|Visit Geno's Garage
for Truck accessories.
Models: 1995 -1996 (BR) Ram Trucks
NOTE: THIS BULLETIN APPLIES TO 2500 SERIES 4X2 SHORT BOX CLUB CAB VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A TWO-PIECE PROPELLER SHAFT, V-8 ENGINE, AND AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION.
THIS BULLETIN REVISES TSB 16-01-94 DATED OCT. 14,1994, FOR THE VEHICLES SPECIFIED IN THIS NOTE ONLY AND SHOULD BE NOTED IN YOUR FILES AND IN THE 1994 TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN MANUAL (PUBLICATION NO. 81-699-95054).
The vehicle may exhibit a driveline shudder while pulling away from a stop.
Launch shudder may be due to undesirable driveline angles and may become worse when the vehicle is used at or near its maximum GVW rating.
As the vehicle is loaded, the driveline angle will change. In the case of maximum GVW, the rear differential may rise above the rear propeller shaft center bearing when the vehicle is launched from a stop. The resulting driveline alignment could cause a shudder in the driveline.
NOTE: REMOVAL OF THE CROSS MEMBER AND REPLACEMENT OF THE TWO-PIECE DRIVELINE AND CENTER BEARING SUPPORT BRACKET WITH A SINGLE-PIECE PROPELLER SHAFT WILL ELIMINATE THE DRIVELINE SHUDDER AT ANY VEHICLE LOAD.
1 52105693 Single Piece Propeller Shaft,
BR 2500 - 4X2 Club Cab,
6.5 Foot Box, 8800 GVW, with V-8 Engine, And Automatic Transmission
4 6034965 Universal Joint Strap Bolts
2 4428723 Universal Joint Straps
This bulletin involves removing the cross member and replacing the two piece propeller shaft with a single piece propeller shaft.
1. Shift the transmission into neutral. Support and raise the vehicle on an appropriate vehicle lift.
2. Remove the universal joint strap bolts at the pinion shaft yoke.
3. Remove the bolts that attach the center bearing support bracket to the frame cross member (figure 1).
4. Slide the slip yoke off the transmission output shaft and remove the propeller shaft and discard it.
5. Remove the clamps that secure the hoses and lines that are located directly below the center bearing support cross member (located inside the frame rail).
6. Position the hoses and lines away from the rivets of the center bearing support cross member and secure them with a tie strap to keep them from interfering with the next step.
7. Cut the head of the rivets that secure the center bearing support cross member to the frame. A small cut-off wheel can be used. Refer to the manufacture of the cut- off wheel for cautions, warnings, and information regarding its proper use.
WARNING: THE RIVETS THAT WILL BE CUT OFF ARE CLOSE TO THE FUEL TANK. DO NOT PERFORM THIS REPAIR PROCEDURE ON ANY VEHICLE THAT HAS FUEL OR FUEL VAPORS WITHIN THE PROXIMITY OF THE OUTSIDE OF THE FUEL TANK. PERSONAL INJURY OR DAMAGE TO THE VEHICLE MAY RESULT. ALSO, DIRECT ALL SPARKS AWAY FROM THE FUEL TANK WHILE CUTTING THE RIVETS.
8. Remove the center bearing support cross member and discard.
9. Slide the slip yoke of the revised propeller shaft (P/N 52105693) onto the transmission output shaft.
10. Position the universal joint bearing caps onto the rear pinion shaft yoke.
11. Install new universal joint straps (P/N 6034965) and universal joint strap bolts (P/N 4428723). Tighten the bolts to 19 Nm (170 in. lbs.) of torque.
12. Lower the vehicle.
POLICY: Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.
Labor Operation No: 16-30-01-98 ................................... 1.8 Hrs.
FAILURE CODE: P8 - New Part
Thanks to Bob Bergevin and Barry Drodge for supplying this TSB information
This page was edited on: May 3, 2004