|DodgeRam.info > TSB's > 08-11-98|
|Visit Geno's Garage
for Truck accessories.
Models: 1998 BR/BE Ram
the (factory) fog lamps stay on for about 2 seconds after turning the fog lamps ON with the headlamp LOW beams on. This condition can also occur when the headlights are turned from HIGH to LOW with the fog lamps ON.
1. Turn headlamps and fog lamps ON
2. Switch the headlamps to HIGH beams
3. Have an assistant watch the fog lamps as the headlamps are switched back to LOW beams.
4. If the fog lamps illuminate approximately two seconds after the headlamps are switched from HIGH beam to LOW beam, proceed to the next step. If the fog lamps do not illuminate at all, further diagnosis is required. Refer to the 1998 Ram Truck Service Manual (Publication No. 81-370-8108), page 8L-3 for information regarding Fog Lamp Diagnosis.
5. Inspect the wires of the right (passenger side) headlamp connector for proper location (Figure 1 ).
6. If the wire in cavity "A" is 16RD/OR, perform the following repair
[Find the right (passenger side) headlamp connector. As viewed from the terminal end, the flat side is top. If the Red/Orange wire is on the right side terminal, two wires are installed incorrectly]
NOTE: CONNECTOR VIEW IS FROM TERMINAL END.
1 NPN Tape, Black Electrical
This bulletin involves switching the wires in cavity "A" and cavity "C" in the right (passenger side) headlamp connector. [switch the LEFT side wire with the right side wire, thus changing the ground connection on the passenger side only]
1. Ensure headlights are off
2. Remove headlamp connector from passenger side headlight
3. Slit 1" of the tubing behind the connector. DO NOT CUT WIRES OR INSULATION!!
4. Using a screwdriver, remove the rear wedge lock
5. Insert a terminal removal tool into the front side of cavity "A" and remove the 16RD/OR wire/terminal from the connector
6. Insert the removal tool into the front side of cavity "C" and remove the 20BK wire/terminal from the connector
7. Inspect the terminals for damage and repair as necessary
8. Reset the terminal locking tang
9. Install the 16RD/OR wire/terminal into cavity "C". Lightly pull on the wire to verify that the terminal is locked in place
10. Install the 20BK wire/terminal into cavity "A". Lightly pull on the wire to verify that the terminal is locked in place
11. Install the wedge lock into the back of the connector
12. Tape the slit with electrical tape
13. Connect the headlamp and test
Policy: Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty
Labor Operation No: 08-94-LC-90 . . . . . . . . .0.2 Hrs.
Failure Code: XX - Service Adjustment
Thanks to Bob Bergevin for providing this TSB information
This page was edited on: May 3, 2004