|DodgeRam.info > TSB's > 05-06-99|
|Visit Geno's Garage
for Truck accessories.
Models: 1994-1999 BR/BE Ram
NOTE: THIS BULLETIN APPLIES TO 1500 SERIES RAM TRUCKS
Overview: This bulletin involves replacing the front and rear brake linings.
Front brake linings wear quicker when compared to the wear experienced on the rear brake linings. Typically, it is expected that the front brake linings will require replacement approximately twice before the rear lining assemblies will need replacement. Replacing the front brake linings more frequently would be considered accelerated front lining wear.
1. Review service history to determine if front brake lining wear has been accelerated.
2. Visually inspect both front and rear brake assemblies for any signs of abnormal wear, abuse or mis-assembly of components. Refer to the appropriate Service Manual, Group 5, for information regarding service of braking components if the brake assemblies show signs of abnormal wear, abuse or mis-assembly of components
3. If the front brake pads are evenly worn with the rear brake linings indicating light wear, perform the following Repair Procedure.
1 05013447AA Kit, Front/Rear Brake Lining
1 04761557 Package, Hold-down Spring
AR (1) 04318080 Fluid, Mopar Brake, DOT 3
AR (1) 04549623 Cleaner, Mopar Brake Parts
AR (1) J8993704 Grease, Brake
AR (1) 04796269 Lubricant, Mopar Brake
AR (1) 04318066 Lube, Mopar Spray White
FRONT BRAKE LINING REPLACEMENT
1 . Replace the front brake linings using the disc brake linings from the Front/Rear Brake Lining Kit p/n 05013447AA. Refer to the appropriate Ram Truck Service Manual, Group 05, for information regarding front brake lining replacement.
REAR BRAKE LINING REPLACEMENT
1. Replace the rear brake linings using the rear brake linings from the Front/Rear Brake Lining Kit p/n 05013447AA. Refer to the appropriate Ram Truck Service Manual, Group 05, for information regarding rear brake lining replacement.
NOTE: THE REAR REPLACEMENT BRAKE LININGS CONTAIN ASBESTOS. EXERCISE CARE WHEN SERVICING BRAKE PARTS. THE "OSHA PREFERRED METHOD" FOR DUST CONTROL MANDATED BY OSHA'S FINAL RULE ON ASBESTOS (29 CFR 1910.1001) RECOMMENDS TO CLEAN BRAKING COMPONENTS WITH A WET TYPE CLEANER SUCH AS PENTASTAR SERVICE EQUIPMENT CT-500, CT-200, OR HE-1450.
CAUTION: D0 NOT CLEAN BRAKE PARTS WITH COMPRESSED AIR OR BY DRY BRUSHING.
2. For proper operation of the braking system, the rear brakes must be properly adjusted. Refer to the appropriate Ram Truck Service Manual, Group 05, for information regarding proper rear brake adjustment procedures.
POLICY. Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.
Labor Operation No: 05-07-22-97 ............................... 1.3 Hrs.
FAILURE CODE- P8 - New Part
From Bob, posted to DiRT:
Front brakes on all 1500 series Ram trucks can be expected to require replacement of front brakes 2 times before the rear brakes are replaced. More frequent replacement of the front is considered accelerated front wear. If the vehicle service record indicates faster waar in the front, or the front are evenly worn and the rears a re lightly worn, perform the repair procedure. The repair procedure is to use the pads and linings from front/rear brake kit part # 05013447AA which includes front/rear linings. This kit has been mentioned in the past for problems with accelerated wear. Included in the parts list is part # 04761557 hold-down spring package, and the ususal Mopar DOT 3 fluid, brake cleaner, brake grease, brake lube and spray white lube. The hold-down springs must be changed and assembled according to the service manual Group 5, Brakes. A note is made in caps, "...the rear brake linings contain asbestos. Exercise the proper care in servicing...". 1.3 hours allowed in the limits of the warranty. (3/36 of course)
Thanks to Bob Bergevin for supplying this TSB information
This page was edited on: May 3, 2004