|DodgeRam.info > TSB's > 23-22-99|
|Visit Geno's Garage
for Truck accessories.
Date: July 2,1999
THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN 23-46-96, DATED AUG. 2,1996, WHICH SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM YOUR FILES
Models: 1994 - 2000 (BR/BE) Ram Trucks
This bulletin involves removing the window channel from the door and installing a revised window channel.
If any of the above symptoms are present, inspect the area of the door latch face around the lower window channel-retaining bolt. If there is any signs of cracking or if the bolt has pulled through the door sheet metal (latch face), perform the Repair Procedure.
NOTE: IF CRACKING/DAMAGE OF THE SHEET METAL (LATCH FACE) HAS PROGRESSED BEYOND A 1 1/4" DIAMETER CIRCLE AROUND THE BOLT HEAD, THE DOOR MUST BE REPLACED. ALSO, THE FOLLOWING REPAIR PROCEDURE MUST BE PERFORMED ON THE REPLACEMENT DOOR.
AR (1) 0488335SAA Window Channel, Right
AR (1) 04883359AA Window Channel, Left Side
AR (1) 01950477 1 1/4" Body Plug
27/64 in. Drill
1 1/4 in. Hole Saw
THIS REPAIR IS COMPATIBLE WITH DAIMLERCHRYSLER'S MOBILE SERVICE PROGRAM AND DOES NOT REQUIRE HOISTS OR OTHER FULL SERVICE FACILITY SPECIAL EQUIPMENT.
1. Release door latch and open door.
2. Remove window crank (if equipped).
3. Remove the screws holding the door trim panel to the door from inside the armrest pull cup (Figure 1).
|1 - POWER WINDOW HARNESS
2 - POWER MIRROR HARNESS
3 - POWER MIRROR
4 - POWER MIRROR CONTROL
5 - SCREW
6 - SCREW
7 - TRIM PANEL
8 - DOOR LOCK BUTTON
4. If equipped, disengage clips holding power window/lock switch to door trim panel and disengage the wire connectors from the switch.
5. Remove the screw holding the door trim to outside mirror frame.
6. Using a trim panel removal tool, disengage clips holding the door trim to door around perimeter of trim panel.
7. While holding bottom of trim panel away from door, simultaneously lift upward and forward.
8. Separate door trim panel from inner belt weather strip.
9. Separate door trim panel from vehicle.
10. Remove inner weather shield from door only as much as necessary to gain access to the window channel.
11. Remove inner belt weatherstrip.
12. Pull glass run out of window channel.
13. Remove bolts holding window channel to inner door panel.
14. Slide channel downward to disengage it from the upper glass frame.
15. Separate window channel from door.
16. Position the template on the door latch face. Using a center punch and hammer, mark the location for the new window channel bolt hole (see templates on pages 5 - 7).
17. Drill a pilot hole in the door latch face at the location marked in step 16 and then drill a 27/64" hole using the pilot hole as a guide.
18. Straighten the area around the original window channel bolt hole as needed. Then, enlarge the original window channel bolt hole to a 1 1/4 inch diameter hole ensuring all damage is removed. If damage has propagated beyond 1 1/4", replace the door. Refer to the appropriate Ram Truck Service Manual, Group 23, for information regarding door and door hardware Removal and Installation procedures.
NOTE: STEPS 16,17, AND 18 OF THIS REPAIR PROCEDURE MUST BE PERFORMED ON ANY NEW DOOR REPLACED FOR A DAMAGED LATCH FACE.
19. Seal body plug (p/n 01 950477) with a small bead of silicone sealant at the seat of the body plug and insert it into the 1 1/4 inch hole.
20. Position the new window channel into the door and secure the window channel. Tighten the latch face bolt to 8 Nm (70 in. lbs.) of torque and the door inner bolt to 9 Nm (80 in. lbs.) of torque.
21. Install the glass run, then temporarily install the window crank or power window switch panel and roll the window down and verify that the window rides up and down in the channel properly.
22. Install the inner belt weatherstrip.
23. Disengage power window/lock switch wire connectors from the switch or remove the window crank.
24. Install the weather shield.
25. Reinstall the door trim panel onto the door.
26. Install the screw holding the door trim to the outside mirror frame.
27. Connect the power window/lock switch connector to the switch and install the switch onto the door trim panel (if equipped).
28. Install the screws that secure the door trim panel to the door (inside the arm rest pull cup).
29. Install the window crank (if equipped).
POLICY: Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.
Labor Operation No:
23-31-26-90 Channel, Window - Replace (Right Side) .................................. 0.6 Hrs.
23-31-26-91 Channel, Window - Replace (Left Side) ..................................... 0.6 Hrs.
FAILURE CODE: PS - New Part
Thanks to Bob Bergevin for supplying this TSB information
This page was edited on: May 3, 2004