|DodgeRam.info > TSB's > 02-04-00A|
|Visit Geno's Garage
for Truck accessories.
Date: May 12, 2000
THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN 02-04-00, WHICH HAD SUPERSEDEED TSB 02-13-99.
Models: 1994-2000 BR/BE Ram truck
1994 - 2000 (AB) Ram Van/Wagon
1994 - 2001 (BR/BE) Ram Truck
This TSB involves replacing the spring tip inserts and installing spring cinch clip isolators.
Squeaking/clicking noise coming from the rear of the vehicle.
If the customer indicates that the vehicle has a squeaking/clicking noise coming from the rear of the vehicle, verify that the noise is coming from the rear springs as the vehicle's suspension goes through jounce and rebound. If a squeaking/clicking noise is coming from the rear springs, perform the Repair Procedure
NOTE. PERFORM THE REPAIR PROCEDURE ON ANY VEHICLE THAT HAS MISSING TIP LINERS OR MISSING CLINCH CLIP ISOLATORS AND A SQUEAKING/CLICKING NOISE IS COMING FROM THE REAR SPRINGS.
NOTE. RAM TRUCKS WERE NOT ORIGINALLY EQUIPPED WITH SPRING CLINCH CLIP ISOLATORS.
Isolators, Spring Clinch Clip
AR (8) 52113136AA Liner, Spring Tip, 2.5 in. Diameter
(1500 Series Ram Truck And Ram Vans With Spring P/N 52106156AD)
AR (12) 52113137AA Liner, Spring Tip, 3.0 in. Diameter (2500/3500 Series Ram Truck)
AR (12) 52113135AA Liner, Spring Tip, 2.5 in. Diameter,
(All Ram Van/Wagon Except Vehicles Equipped With Spring P/N 52106156AD)
AR (1) 05018626AA Lubricant
Large C-Clamp (5 - 6 in.)
Large Pry Bar
Large Adjustable Pliers
1. Raise the vehicle on an appropriate frame support style lift (rear axle must be allowed to extend fully)
2. On Ram Vans, remove both rear tire/wheel assemblies.
3. Position a large C-Clamp adjacent to the spring cinch clip and clamp the leaves of the spring together
4. Use an appropriate pry bar to bend open the rear spring cinch clip (Figure 1). If necessary, remove the existing spring cinch clip isolators.
5. Use the pry bar to spread apart the leaf (Figure 2). The clearance between the leaves should be enough to remove the old liner (if necessary) and install the replacement liner.
1- Rear Leaf Spring Cinch Clip
1- Rear Leaf Spring
6. If necessary, remove the old spring tip liner (Figure 3).
7. With the prybar still inserted between the leaves, install a new spring tip liner (see Parts Required section) onto the leaf.
8. Firmly seat the spring tip liner onto the leaf. A C-Clamp can be used to compress the adjacent leaves together (Figure 4) which will seat the liner retaining pin into the hole.
NOTE: THE SPRING TIP LINER IS PROPERLY INSTALLED WHEN THE RETAINING PIN IS POINTING TOWARD THE PAVEMENT AND THE WEAR PAD IS CONTACTING THE LEAF SPRING.
9. Apply a small amount of lubricant p/n 05018626AA onto the tip liner wear pad.
10. Repeat Steps 5 through 9 to remove and install all rear spring tip liners.
11. Place one spring cinch clip isolator p/n 52113142AA onto the outboard side of the spring cinch clip (Figure 5) and one isolator on the inboard side of the spring cinch clip.
12. Using large adjustable pliers, close the spring cinch clip until the isolator contacts the leaf spring (Figure 6).
|Figure 5||.||Fig 6 (click for 2x larger)|
CAUTION: DO NOT USE A HAMMER TO CLOSE THE SPRING CINCH CLIP. DAMAGE TO THE ISOLATOR MAY RESULT.
13. Use an appropriate pry bar to bend open the front spring cinch clip. If necessary, remove the existing spring cinch clip isolators.
14. Perform steps 5 through 12 to the front portion of the rear leaf spring assembly.
15. Perform steps 4 through 14 to the other side of the vehicle.
16. On Ram Van/Wagons, install the tire wheel assemblies.
17. Lower the vehicle.
Policy: Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.
Labor operation No:
02-30-02-96 Liner, Spring Tip/isolator, Cinch Clip -
Install Both Sides - 1500 models
(AB) Ram Van .................. 0.6 Hrs.
(BR/BE) Ram Truck ......... 0.4 Hrs.
02-30-02-97 Liner, Spring Tip/isolator, Cinch Clip -
Install Both Sides - 2500 models
(AB) Ram Van .................. 0.7 Hrs.
(BR/BE) Ram Truck ......... 0.6 Hrs.
02-30-02-98 Liner, Spring Tip/isolator, Cinch Clip -
Install Both Sides - 3500 models
(AB) Ram Van ................. 0.7 Hrs.
(BR/BE) Ram Truck ......... 0.8 Hrs.
FAILURE CODE. P8 - New Part
Thanks to Bob Bergevin for supplying this TSB information
This page was edited on: May 3, 2004