|DodgeRam.info > TSB's > 08-17-00|
|Visit Geno's Garage
for Truck accessories.
Date: May 12, 2000
THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN 08-44-99, DATED DEC. 31,1999, WHICH SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM YOUR FILES AND NOTED IN THE 1999 TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN MANUAL (PUBLICATION NO. 81-699- 00004). THIS IS A COMPLETE REVISION.
Models: 1999 - 2000 (BR/BE) Ram Trucks
NOTE. THIS BULLETIN APPLIES TO VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH THE INFINITY SOUND SYSTEM SALES CODES (RBR, RBN, AND RAZ) BUILT BEFORE OCTOBER 1, 1999 (MDH 1001XX).
This bulletin involves installing new speaker kits on both right and left front doors and installing foam between the inner door trim panel and the door.
Intermittent operation/static may occur in any or all speakers
1. Turn the ignition key to the RUN position.
2. Turn the radio ON.
3. Tune the radio to a known AM station with a minimal amount of electrical static.
4. Flex the antenna mast/base while listening for static.
5. If static is heard, check the antenna mast-to-base torque and the antenna-cap nut torque. The antenna mast torque is 3 - 4 Nom (28 - 32 in. lbs.) and the antenna-cap nut torque is 7 - 8 Nom (60 - 70 in. lbs.).
6. Insert a known good quality CD or Tape into the sound system. If a good CD or tape cannot be found, tune the radio to a FM station that emits a strong signal.
7. Move the fade and speaker R/L controls from speaker to speaker while listening for static and/or intermittent operation of the speakers.
8. Increase and decrease the volume while listening for static and/or intermittent operation of the speakers.
9. If static/intermittent operation is present and the static/intermittent operation changes from speaker to speaker as the fade and speaker R/L controls are operated and changes with volume, the static/intermittent operation is due to malfunctions with components other than the speakers. Further diagnosis is required. Refer to the appropriate Ram Truck Service Manual, Group 08 for additional information.
10. Perform the Repair Procedure if the static/intermittent operation is present and is coming from the same speaker(s) even if the fade and speaker R/L controls are changed and the static intermittent operation does not change with volume.
NOTE: THE FRONT SPEAKERS CONTAIN THE AMPLIFIER FOR BOTH FRONT AND REAR SPEAKERS.
2 05017822AA Kit, Infinity Speaker
2 0501896SAA Kit, Foam
AR (26) 0650587SAA Clips, Door Trim Attaching
|This Repair is compatible with DaimlerChrysler's Mobile service program
does not require hoists or other full service facility special equipment.
1 . Roll the window(s) down.
2. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable. On vehicles equipped with a diesel engine, disconnect and isolate both battery negative cables.
3. On vehicles equipped with a manual window regulator, remove the window crank (Figure 1).
1 - WINDOW CRANK REMOVAL TOOL
4. Remove the screw that attaches the trim panel to the outside mirror frame (Figure 2). 5. Remove the screws that attach the pull cup to the door.
1 - POWER MIRROR
6. Using a trim panel removal tool such as Snap On tool Al61B, disengage the trim panel retaining clips from the door. Base models, have eleven trim panel retaining clips (clips 12 and 13 not used) and premium models have thirteen (Figure 3). It is very important that a trim panel tool is used to separate each retaining clip from the door.
CAUTION. DAMAGE TO THE DOOR TRIM PANEL MAY OCCUR IF THE DOOR TRIM PANEL RETAINING CLIPS ARE SEPARATED FROM THE DOOR WITHOUT USING A TRIM PANEL REMOVING TOOL. DOOR PANELS SHOULD NEVER BE REMOVED BY HAND.
FIGURE 3 - DOOR TRIM PANEL RETAINING CLIP LOCATIONS
7. While holding the bottom of the trim panel away from the door, simultaneously lift upward and inboard to detach the trim panel from the door.
8. Remove the four speaker screws that secure the speaker to the front door inner panel.
9. Pull the speaker away from the mounting hole in the front door inner panel far enough to access the speaker wire harness connector.
10. Disconnect the speaker wire harness connector from the front door wire harness connector.
11. Remove the speaker from the front door inner panel.
12. Remove the tape tab protective covering from the water shield (supplied in speaker kit p/n 05017822AA). The tape tab is located on the top of the water shield.
13. Place water shield into the speaker opening as shown in Figure 4.
1 - SPEAKER WIRING HARNESS
14. Position the new speaker into the door opening with the amplifier facing up. Secure the speaker with the four screws.
15. Route the speaker wiring from underneath the speaker, along the side of the speaker and up to the connector as shown in Figure 4.
16. Peel the protective backing from the foam (from Foam Kit p/n 05018968AA) and place the foam onto the inner door panel trim as shown in Figure 5.
1 - ATTACH FOAM TO DOOR TRIM PANEL ON THESE TWO LOCATIONS
17. Remove all door trim panel retaining clips
18. Install new door trim panel retaining clips p/n 06505878AA onto the door trim panel.
19. Position the trim panel onto the door.
20. Engage all door trim panel attaching clips around the perimeter of the trim panel, attaching trim panel to the inner door.
21. Install the screws securing the pull cup to the inner door panel.
22. Install the screw attaching the trim panel to the outside mirror frame.
23. Install the window crank, if equipped.
24. Perform Steps 3 through 23 to the other door speaker and trim panel.
25. Connect the battery negative cable(s) and reset the clock.
26. Roll the windows up.
Policy: Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.
Labor Operation No: 08-60-70-96 ....................................... 0.9 Hrs.
Failure Code: P8 - New Part
Thanks to Bob Bergevin for supplying this TSB information
This page was edited on: May 3, 2004