|DodgeRam.info > TSB's > 08-23-00|
|Visit Geno's Garage
for Truck accessories.
Models: 1998-2001 BR/BE Ram Truck
NOTE: THIS BULLETIN APPLIES TO VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A 5.9L - 24V DIESEL ENGINE BUILT BEFORE ENGINE SERIAL NUMBER 56681800 WITH A DATE OF MANUFACTURE OF JANUARY 29, 2000. THIS INFORMATION IS AVAILABLE ON THE ENGINE DATA PLATE, WHICH IS LOCATED ON THE LEFT SIDE OF THE ENGINE, AFFIXED TO THE GEAR HOUSING.
This bulletin involves installing a plastic protective boot and checking the generator fuse.
While service is being performed to the engine, it may be possible for a momentary electrical short to occur. The electrical short may be caused when a metallic object, such as a wrench or oil filter, comes in contact with the B+ end terminal of the generator wire harness. The B+ end terminal is bolted to the generator B+ stud (output terminal). The B+ stud on the generator is protected by a plastic surround. Part of the wire harness end terminal may extend beyond the protective plastic surround for the B+ output terminal.
NOTE: IF AN ELECTRICAL SHORT HAS OCCURRED, VERIFY THAT THE GENERATOR FUSE HAS NOT OPENED (BLOWN). IF THE FUSE IS OPEN, A GRADUAL DISCHARGE OF BOTH ENGINE BATTERIES WILL OCCUR. THE GENERATOR FUSE IS LOCATED IN THE ENGINE POWER DISTRIBUTION CENTER(PDC).
If a plastic protective rubber boot is not present, then perform the repair procedure.
1 04487042 Boot, Generator B+ output terminal protective
I . Disconnect both negative battery cables from each battery.
2. Remove the attaching nut used to retain the electrical wire harness end terminal to the generator B+ stud. Remove the harness end terminal from the B+ stud on the generator.
3. Install the protective boot (p/n 04487042) onto the wire harness. Small opening first.
4. Install the electrical wire harness end terminal on to the generator B+ stud.
5. Install the attaching nut onto the generator B+ stud.
6. Tighten the attaching nut to 8.5 Nm (75 in. lbs.).
7. Slide the large end of the protective boot over the plastic piece which surrounds the generator B+ stud. Verify that the large end of the boot is fully seated onto the plastic surround.
8. Install both negative battery cables to their respective battery negative terminal.
9. Verify that the high amperage generator fuse, located in the PDC, is in proper working order.
Policy: Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.
Labor Operation No: 08-05-01-96 ................................ 0.2 Hrs.
FAILURE CODE: P8 - New Part
Thanks to Bob Bergevin for supplying this TSB information
This page was edited on: May 3, 2004