|DodgeRam.info > TSB's > 09-03-00|
|Visit Geno's Garage
for Truck accessories.
Models: 2000 (BR/BE) Ram Truck
NOTE: THIS BULLETIN APPLIES TO VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A 5.9L - 24V DIESEL ENGINE BUILT BEFORE ENGINE SERIAL NUMBER 56664950 WITH A DATE OF MANUFACTURE OF DECEMBER 8, 1999. THIS INFORMATION IS AVAILABLE ON THE ENGINE DATA PLATE, WHICH IS LOCATED ON THE LEFT SIDE OF THE ENGINE, AFFIXED TO THE GEAR HOUSING.
This bulletin involves the removal of paint overspray in the area around the oil fill cap and the replacement of the oil fill cap.
Oil seepage may be noticed in the area of the oil fill cap. This may be due to paint overspray around the oil fill opening of the cylinder head valve cover. The paint overspray may cause an uneven sealing surface.
Another possible cause for the oil seepage may be a damaged oil fill cap o-ring. The o- ring may be cut due to the presence of a sharp corner around the top edge of the cylinder head cover oil fill opening.
Inspect the lip of the cylinder head cover oil fill opening. If the oil fill cap o-ring contact surface on the cylinder head cover has a sharp corner or if paint overspray is present, then perform the Repair Procedure.
1 05014704AA Cap, Engine Oil Fill
1 (AR) 05016356AB Gasket, Cylinder Head Cover
1. Disconnect both battery negative cables
2. Loosen the five (5) cylinder head cover bolts. Remove the front three (3) bolts and leave the rear two bolts in the cover.
NOTE: THE CYLINDER HEAD VALVE COVER MUST BE REMOVED TO PREVENT POSSIBLE INTERNAL ENGINE DAMAGE AND/OR OIL CONTAMINATION.
3. Lift the cylinder head cover off of the cylinder head. Remove the cylinder head cover gasket from the cover.
4. Remove the oil fill cap from the cylinder head cover.
5. Using a fine grit sandpaper, sand the top edge of the cylinder head cover oil fill opening, Using your finger, verify that the entire top edge circumference of the oil fill opening is smooth and rounded.
6. Clean the cylinder head cover of all debris and oil residue. Clean any oil residue from the cylinder head-to-gasket mating surfaces and from the cylinder head gasket.
7. The cylinder head cover gasket is reusable. Inspect the cylinder head cover gasket for cuts, tears, or cracks. Per your inspection, replace the cover gasket only if required (p/n 05016356AB).
8. Install the cylinder head cover gasket onto the cylinder head with the words "top front" facing up and towards the front of the engine.
9. Install the cylinder head cover to the engine. Torque bolts to 24 Nm (1 8 ft. lbs.).
10. Replace the engine oil fill cap (p/n 05014704AA).
11. Connect both battery negative cables to their respective battery.
12. Verify proper engine oil level.
POLICY. Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.
Labor Operation No: 09-35-25-93 ............................. 0.4 Hrs.
FAILURE CODE: 65 - Leaks
Thanks to Bob Bergevin for supplying this TSB information
This page was edited on: May 3, 2004