Squeaking/Creaking Sound In Steering Column While Turning
Date: June 9, 2000
Models: 1994 - 2000 (BR/BE) Ram
1997 - 2000 (AN) Dakota
1994 - 2000 (BR/BE) Ram Truck
1998 - 2000 (RI) Dakota (international Markets)
NOTE: THIS BULLETIN APPLIES TO VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH NON-TILT STEERING COLUMNS.
This bulletin involves installing new lock housing attaching screws.
A squeaking/creaking sound may be heard coming from the area of the steering
wheel while turning. The sound is associated with rotation of the steering wheel
or may be heard while going over bumps in the road.
1. Start the engine and center the steering wheel.
2. Rotate the steering wheel to the extreme right and then
to the extreme left while monitoring for the squeaking/creaking sound.
3. If a squeaking/creaking sound can be heard coming from
the area of the steering wheel, perform the Repair Procedure.
5 06506514AA Screw, Non-Tilt Lock Housing
|THIS REPAIR IS COMPATIBLE WITH DAIMLERCHRYSLER'S MOBILE SERVICE PROGRAM
AND DOES NOT REQUIRE HOISTS OR OTHER FULL SERVICE FACILITY SPECIAL EQUIPMENT.
- Remove the three screws that secure the lower edge of the steering column
opening cover to the lower instrument panel reinforcement.
- Using a trim stick or another suitable wide-bladed tool, gently pry the
upper edge of the steering column opening cover. Pry just below the cluster
bezel on each side of the steering column away from the instrument panel far
enough to disengage the snap clip retainers from the receptacles in the instrument
- Remove the steering column opening cover from the instrument panel.
- Loosen the steering column mounting nuts.
- Remove the upper and lower shrouds and covers (4 pieces)(Figure 1).
- Disconnect the wiper switch wiring harness connector.
- Remove screw A and replace with new screw, p/n 06506514AA, and tighten to
9 N*m (85 in. lbs.). See Figure 2 for screw identification.
- Repeat step 7 for screws B, C, D, and E respectively.
- Connect the wiper switch wiring harness connector.
- Install the upper and lower steering column shrouds to steering column.
Tighten screws to 2 N*m (17 in. lbs.).
- Tighten the steering column mounting nuts to 12 N*m (1 05 in. lbs.).
- Position the steering column opening cover to the instrument panel.
- Align snap clip retainers on the steering column opening cover with the
receptacles in the instrument panel.
- Press firmly on the steering column opening cover over the snap clip locations
until each of the snap clips fully engaged in its receptacle.
- Install and tighten the three screws that secure the lower edge of the steering
column opening cover to the lower instrument panel reinforcement. Tighten
the screws to 2.2 N*m (20 in. lbs.).
Policy: Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.
Labor Operation No: 19-20-83-97 ................................................................
Failure Code: P8 - New Part
Thanks to Bob Bergevin for supplying this TSB information
This page was edited on: May 3, 2004