|DodgeRam.info > TSB's > 21-11-00|
|Visit Geno's Garage
for Truck accessories.
Models: 2000 - 2001 (BR/BE) Ram Truck with automatic transmission
|2000 - 2001||(AB)||Ram Van 2000|
|2000 - 2001||(AN)||Dakota|
|2000 - 2001||(BR/BE)||Ram Truck|
|2000 - 2001||(DN)||Durango|
NOTE: THIS BULLETIN APPLIES TO VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A 46RE TRANSMISSION BUILT BEFORE AUGUST 01, 2000 (MDH 0801XX).
This bulletin involves the replacement of the transmission pressure boost valve cover plate.
The customer may complain of a Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) illumination. Upon further analysis, it is determined that the MIL is caused by Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) PI 740 -Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) or Overdrive Solenoid Performance. Other than the MIL, the customer may not notice any other condition with the transmission.
This condition may be caused by an intermittent and momentary TCC disengagement condition. The transmission valve body pressure boost valve cover plate has been revised with a larger size orifice hole to address this condition.
1 . Warm the transmission to normal operating temperatures.
2. Using the DRB III, perform a torque converter clutch (TCC) stall test. The stall test has been revised so that the TCC remains engaged for a period of four (4) seconds.
NOTE. THE DRB III MUST BE OPERATING AT RELEASE LEVEL 50.4 MDS2 SYSTEM CIS CD2067 OR HIGHER (AVAILABLE THE WEEK OF OCTOBER 2, 2000) IN ORDER TO PERFORM THE REVISED TORQUE CONVERTER CLUTCH STALL TEST. DO NOT USE EARLIER VERSION STALL TEST TO DETERMINE CONDITION OF THE TORQUE CONVERTER CLUTCH.
3. If the engine stalls as a result of the TCC stall test, then perform the Repair Procedure.
4. If the engine does not stall, as a result of the TCC stall test, then further diagnosis is required. The technician may want to consider the following components during their additional diagnosis-. a cut or worn input shaft seals, a missing pump lock-up circuit check ball, or worn converter hub, input shaft, reaction shaft, and pump rotor.
|1||04617015||Plate, Pressure Boost Valve Cover (46RE)|
|1||02464324AB||Gasket, Trans Pan|
|10(AR)||05010124AA||ATF+3, Transmission Oil Type 7176 (2000 M.Y.)|
|10(AR)||05013457AA||ATF+4, Transmission Oil Type 9602 (2001 M.Y.)|
1 . Clean the pressure boost valve cover plate to remove any dirt or rust inhibitor prior to installation. The revised cover plate will have a 1.75 mm (0.069 inch) orifice hole versus a 1.22mm (0.048 inch) orifice hole in the original plate. Make sure it is clean.
2. Using the appropriate Service Manual, Group 21 - Transmissions and Transfer Case, replace the transmission pressure boost valve cover plate p/n 04617012.
3. Verify fluid level after warming up the transmission and cycling the shift lever several times.
4. Verify, and if required, adjust the transmission shift linkage and the transmission throttle valve cable per the appropriate Service Manual procedures.
Policy: Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.
Labor Operation No: 21-95-01-96 (Plate, Boost Pressure) ....................... 1.4 Hrs.
21-95-01-60 (Skid Plate Equipped - AN/DN) ......... 0.2 Hrs.
Failure Code: P8 - New Part
Thanks to Bob Bergevin for supplying this TSB information
This page was edited on: May 3, 2004