|DodgeRam.info > TSB's > SA #00-11|
|Visit Geno's Garage
for Truck accessories.
2000 - 2001 BR/BE Ram Truck
NOTE: THIS INFORMATION APPLIES TO VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH 5.9L-24V DIESEL ENGINE BUILT ON OR BETWEEN ENGINE SERIAL NUMBER (ESN) 56662576 AND 56671920. THE ESN INFORMATION IS AVAILABLE ON THE ENGINE DATA PLATE, WHICH IS LOCATED ON THE LEFT SIDE OF THE ENGINE, AFFIXED TO THE TIMING GEAR HOUSING. PLEASE REFER TO GIG. 79 ON PAGE 14-98 OF THE 2000 RAM TRUCK SERVICE MANUAL (81-370-0008).
NOTE: A VIN LIST OF SUSPECT VEHICLES IS BEING SENT WITH THIS D-MAIL.
The customer may experience a hard start and/or a no-start condition after approximately 9,000 miles of engine operation. The Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) may illuminate due to Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) P0216 (Fuel Injection Pump Timing Failure).
This condition may be due to lower than normal fuel output from the engine fuel transfer (lift) pump.
1. Inspect the vehicle and determine the engine serial number.
2. If the engine serial number is less than 56662576 or greater than 56671920, and there is no customer concern or DTC logged, then return the vehicle to the customer. No further repair is required.
NOTE: NOT ALL VEHICLES REQUIRING INSPECTION WILL NEED TO HAVE THE TRANSFER PUMP REPLACED. REPLACE ONLY PUMPS WHICH FALL WITHIN THE ENGINE SERIAL NUMBER RANGE.
3. If the engine serial number falls on or is between 56662576 to 56671920, then the transfer pump will require replacement.
1 05015723AA Pump, Fuel Transfer
4 05016555AA Washer, Fuel Line Banjo Sealing
Refer to the 2000 Ram Truck Service Manual (81-370-0008), Section 14 - Fuel System page 14-97 and Section 08 - electrical, for graphics and additional technical assistance.
1. Disconnect both negative battery cables at both batteries.
2. Thoroughly clean the area around the transfer pump and fuel lines of any contamination. Use a suitable drain pan to catch any excess fuel.
3. Remove the starter motor. Refer to Starter Removal/Installation on page 8B-11 of the 2000 Ram Truck Service Manual (81-370-0008).
4. Disconnect the fuel line quick-connect fitting at the fuel supply line (rear fuel line).
5. Remove the support bracket bolt at the top of the fuel transfer pump / bracket.
6. Remove the front and rear fuel line banjo bolts at the transfer pump. Remove the old banjo bolt sealing washers.
7. Disconnect the electrical connector located on the side of the transfer pump.
8. Remove the three transfer pump-to-bracket nuts.
9. Remove the transfer pump from the engine.
10. Install two new banjo sealing washers (p/n 05016555AA) to the rear fuel line banjo bolt. Make certain there is a sealing washer on each side of the respective banjo connection. Install the rear fuel line (supply) to the new transfer pump (p/n 05015723AA). DO NOT tighten the banjo nut at this time.
12. Position the three transfer pump studs into the pump mounting bracket and install the three retaining nuts. DO NOT tighten the three retaining nuts at this time.
13. Install the support bracket bolt. DO NOT tighten the support bolt at this time.
14. Tighten the three transfer pump-to-bracket nuts to 12 Nm (9 ft. lbs.).
15. Tighten both banjo bolts to 24 NM (18 ft. lbs.).
16. Tighten the support bracket bolt to 12 NM (9 ft. lbs.).
17. Connect the electrical connector to the transfer pump.
18. Connect the fuel line quick-connect fitting to the rear fuel supply line.
19. Install the starter motor. Refer to page 8B-13 in the 2000 Ram Truck Service Manual (81-370-0008).
20. Connect both negative battery cables at both batteries.
21. Bleed any air from the fuel supply lines at the fuel injector pump. Refer to page 14-78 in the 2000 Ram Truck Service Manual (81-370-0008).
22. Start the engine and check for any fuel leaks. Remove the drain pan.
POLICY: Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.
Labor Operation No:
14-50-03-90 (Pump, Fuel Transfer - Replace) ---- 0.7 Hrs.
FAILURE CODE: P8 - New Part
If you have any questions, contact your Zone service office.
R. M. Fisher
Sales & Service
Thanks to David Lovell for supplying this TSB information
This page was edited on: May 3, 2004