|DodgeRam.info > TSB's > 05-002-01|
|Visit Geno's Garage
for Truck accessories.
Date: Mar. 9 ,2001
Models: 2001 (BR/BE) Ram Truck
NOTE: THIS BULLETIN APPLIES TO 2500/3500 SERIES RAM TRUCKS EQUIPPED WITH FOUR WHEEL DISC BRAKES (SALES CODE BRT) BUILT BEFORE NOVEMBER 20, 2000 (MDH 112OXX).
This bulletin involves installing new parking brake cables.
Parking brake cable appears to be mis-adjusted which may cause the parking brake lamp to remain illuminated even after the parking brake pedal has been released. The parking brake system however is not mis-adjusted and functions normally.
1. Start the engine and wait until the instrument cluster has completed its warning lamp bulb check procedure.
2. Observe the parking brake warning lamp. If the parking brake warning lamp is illuminated, proceed to the next step. If the parking brake warning lamp is not illuminated, depress the parking brake pedal then, slowly release the parking brake pedal. If the parking brake warning lamp remains illuminated after the parking brake is released, proceed to the Step 4.
3. While pulling the release handle, pull the parking brake pedal upward until the pedal arm contacts the pedal stop. If the parking brake warning lamp goes out, proceed to the next step. If the parking brake warning lamp remains illuminated, this bulletin does not apply and further diagnosis is required.
4. Turn the engine OFF.
5. Raise and support the vehicle.
6. Inspect the rear parking brake cable return spring retainer located on the end of the cable where the cable attaches to the parking brake lever on the rear brake assembly. If the spring retainer is located over the bend of the cable hook (Fig. 1), perform the Repair Procedure.
NOTE: PERFORM THE PARKING BRAKE CABLE INSPECTION ON BOTH RIGHT AND LEFT REAR PARKING BRAKE CABLES.
Fig. 1 PARKING BRAKE CABLE - INCORRECT SPRING RETAINER LOCATION
1 - PARKING BRAKE CABLE
7. If both right and left parking brake cable return spring retainers are in their proper positions (Fig. 2), the parking brake cable tensioner may require adjustment. Refer to the 2001 Ram Truck Service Manual (Publication No. 81-370-1008), page 5-40, CABLE TENSIONER, ADJUSTMENT, or the service information available on MDS2.
Fig. 2 PARKING BRAKE CABLE - CORRECT SPRING RETAINER LOCATION
1 - PARKING BRAKE CABLE
|AR (1)||52009987AA||Cable, Parking Brake, 2500 4X4, Left Rear|
|AR (1)||52010031AA||Cable, Parking Brake, 2500 4X2, Left Rear|
|AR (1)||52010030AB||Cable, Parking Brake, 2500/3500 (Except Cab Chassis), Right Rear|
|AR (1)||52013005AA||Cable, Parking Brake, 3500 4X2 (Except Cab Chassis), Left Rear|
|AR (1)||52013007AA||Cable, Parking Brake, 3500 4X4 (Except Cab Chassis), Left Rear|
|AR (1)||52009988AB||Cable, Parking Brake, 3500 Cab Chassis, Left Rear AR|
|AR (1)||52009989AB||Cable, Parking Brake, 3500 Cab Chassis, Right Rear|
1. Lockout the parking brake cable (Fig. 3).
Fig. 3 PARKING BRAKE CABLE LOCKOUT
1 - LOCKING PLIERS
2. Loosen cable adjuster nut.
3. Remove the rear parking brake cable from the intermediate parking brake cable.
4. Compress tabs on cable end fitting on the rear parking brake cable to the frame mount bracket. Then, pull the cable through the bracket.
5. Disengage the parking brake cable from behind the rotor assembly (Fig. 4).
Fig. 4 PARKING BRAKE CABLE DISENGAGEMENT
6. Compress cable tabs on each cable end fitting at the brake cable support plate.
7. Remove the cables from the brake cable support plates.
8. Perform Steps 3 - 7 to the other rear parking brake cable.
9. Push the new parking brake cable (see Parts Required section) end through the brake cable support plate hole until the cable end fitting tabs lock into place.
NOTE: PULL ON THE CABLE TO ENSURE IT IS LOCKED INTO PLACE.
10. Push the cable through the frame bracket.
11. Perform Steps 9 and 10 to the other rear parking brake cable.
12. Lock the left cable end fitting tabs into the frame bracket hole.
13. Install the rear cable(s) into the tensioner rod behind the rear of the brake assembly.
14. Install the cable to the intermediate cable connector.
15. Release and remove the lock out device.
16. Lower the vehicle enough for access to the parking brake foot pedal. Then depress the parking brake pedal to the floor.
NOTE: LEAVE PARKING BRAKES APPLIED UNTIL ADJUSTMENT IS COMPLETE.
17. Raise the vehicle again.
18. Mark the tensioner rod 6.35 mm (1/4 in.) from edge of the tensioner (Fig. 5).
Fig. 5 PARKING BRAKE CABLE ADJUSTMENT
1 - TENSIONER CABLE BRACKET
19. Tighten the adjusting nut on the tensioner rod until the mark is no longer visible.
CAUTION: DO NOT LOOSEN, OR TIGHTEN THE TENSIONER ADJUSTING NUT FOR ANY REASON AFTER COMPLETING ADJUSTMENT.
20. Lower the vehicle until the rear wheels are 15-20 cm (6-8 in.) off the shop floor.
21. Release the parking brake foot pedal and verify that rear wheels rotate freely without drag. Then lower the vehicle.
Policy: Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.
Labor Operation No: 05-05-21-99 ...................................0.8 Hrs.
Failure Code: P8 - New Part
Thanks to Bob Bergevin for supplying this TSB information
This page was edited on: May 3, 2004