|DodgeRam.info > TSB's > 09-002-02|
|Visit Geno's Garage
for Truck accessories.
Date: March 11, 2002
Models: 1998-2002 (BR) Ram Truck
NOTE: THIS BULLETIN APPLIES TO 1998 - 2002 (BR) RAM TRUCKS EQUIPPED WITH THE 24-VALVE CUMMINS DIESEL ENGINE BUILT AFTER MARCH 27, 1998 (ESN 56443872).
Owners of 1998 - 2002 (BR) Ram Trucks equipped with the 24-valve Cummins diesel engine may experience engine oil overflow from the front crankcase breather when the vehicle is operated off-road on an extreme downhill grade (37.5% or 22° slope/grade). Operation of this type for extended periods of time can cause enough engine oil depletion to damage the engine. A kit containing all components necessary to eliminate the oil overflow has been made available. If the condition exists, perform the repair.
NOTE: REFER TO THE SERVICE MANUAL THAT 1S SPECIFIC TO THE VEHICLE ON WHICH YOU ARE WORKING. (REFERENCES IN THE PROCEDURE BELOW ARE TO SECTIONS WITHIN THE 2000 (BR) RAM TRUCK SERVICE MANUAL (PUBLICATION # 81-370-0008).
1. Open the hood.
NOTE: IN THE INTEREST OF CUSTOMER SATISFACTION, RECORD SET RADIO STATIONS AND REPROGRAM WHEN PROCEDURE IS COMPLETED.
2. Disconnect both negative battery cables.
3. Remove the air intake connector.
4. Remove the charge air cooler duct.
5. Remove the washer bottle.
6. Remove the fan shroud and viscous fan. (Section 7).
7. Remove the crankcase breather assembly and discard.
8. Remove the fuel filter/water separator assembly. (Section 14).
9. Remove the VP44 fuel injection pump, (Section 14).
10. Remove the CM551 engine control module.
11. Remove the mounting bolt that secures the fuel line to the tappet cover.
12. Disconnect and remove the fuel line "T" fitting and mounting bracket.
13. Remove the tappet cover mounting bolts and side cover.
14. Install new tappet cover with breather tube. Torque bolts to 24 N-m (17 ft. lbs.).
NOTE: BREATHER TUBE SHOULD BE ROUTED DOWN, BEHIND THE STARTER AND AWAY FROM THE DIFFERENTIAL.
15. Reconnect and install fuel line "T" fitting and mounting bracket.
16. Install the mounting bell that secures the fuel line to the tappet cover.
17. Install the engine controller.
18. Install the fuel pump. (Section 14).
19. Install the fuel filter/water separator assembly. (Section 14).
20. Install the replacement access plug on the front of the gear cover.
21. Install the fan shroud and viscous fan. (Section 7).
22. Install the washer bottle.
23. Install the charge air cooler duct.
24. Install the air intake connector.
25. Reconnect both negative battery cables.
26. Start the engine and check for leaks.
27. Close the hood and reprogram the radio (if necessary).
Policy: Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.
Labor Operation No: 09-85-05-91. Install New Breather Kit ....................3.2 Hrs.
Failure Code: P8 - New Part
Thanks to David Lovell for supplying this TSB information
This page was edited on: May 3, 2004