|DodgeRam.info > TSB's > 24-004-03|
|Visit Geno's Garage
for Truck accessories.
Date: June 13, 2003
Models: 2003 (DR) Ram Truck
This bulletin involves replacing the defrost door and lower half of the heater, A/C (HVAC) housing.
The defrost door may break at the pivot shaft causing inadequate travel. The system may not completely close causing a lack of air discharge out the floor vents and full discharge from the defrost outlet. This may be caused by a broken actuator stop on the heater A/C (HVAC) housing.
If the vehicle exhibits the condition, perform the Repair Procedure
|1||05127758AA||Lower Heater, A/C Housing|
|1||05019632AA||Coupler, Defrost Door|
|Approved A/C refrigerant recycling equipment|
WARNING: ON VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH AIRBAGS, DISABLE THE AIRBAG SYSTEM BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANY STEERING WHEEL, STEERING COLUMN, OR INSTRUMENT PANEL COMPONENT DIAGNOSIS OR SERVICE. DISCONNECT AND ISOLATE THE BATTERY NEGATIVE (GROUND) CABLE, THEN WAIT TWO MINUTES FOR THE AIRBAG SYSTEM CAPACITOR TO DISCHARGE BEFORE PERFORMING FURTHER DIAGNOSIS OR SERVICE. THIS IS THE ONLY SURE WAY TO DISABLE THE AIRBAG SYSTEM. FAILURE TO TAKE THE PROPER PRECAUTIONS COULD RESULT IN AN ACCIDENTAL AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT AND POSSIBLE PERSONAL INJURY.
NOTE: THE FOLLOWING PROCEDURES ARE OUTLINED IN DETAIL IN THE 2003 RAM TRUCK SERVICE MANUAL, PUBLICATION NUMBER 81–370–03059. IF YOU ARE NOT FAMILIAR WITH THE PROCEDURES, REFER TO THE SERVICE MANUAL FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION.
1. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
2. Drain the engine cooling system.
3. Recover the refrigerant from the refrigerant system .
4. Disconnect the liquid refrigerant line fitting from the evaporator inlet tube. Discard the O-ring seal and install plugs in, or tape over the opened liquid refrigerant line fitting and evaporator inlet tube.
5. Remove the accumulator Discard the O-ring seals and install plugs in, or tape over the opened refrigerant line fittings and evaporator outlet tube.
6. Disconnect the heater hoses from the heater core tubes. Install plugs in, or tape over the opened heater core tubes.
7. Remove the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) from the engine compartment to gain access to the HVAC housing retaining nuts.
8. Remove the two nuts from the HVAC housing mounting studs in the engine compartment.
9. Remove the instrument panel from the vehicle.
10. Remove the bolt that secures the HVAC housing to the floor bracket located in the center of the vehicle.
11. Remove the two nuts from the HVAC housing mounting studs in the passenger compartment.
12. Remove the HVAC housing from inside the vehicle. Take care not to allow any remaining coolant to drain onto the vehicles interior (Fig. 1).
|Fig. 1 HVAC Housing - Dual Zone Shown, Single Zone Typical|
|1 - NUT
2 - PASSENGER BLEND DOOR ACTUATOR
3 - NUT
4 - INLET BAFFLE
5 - RECIRCULATION DOOR ACTUATOR
6 - RECIRCULATION DOOR
7 - DRIVER SIDE BLEND DOOR ACTUATOR
8 - HVAC HOUSING
9 - BOLT
10 - DEFROSTER DOOR ACTUATOR
11 - MODE DOOR ACTUATOR
13. Separate the HVAC housing case halves.
14. Remove all of the attached parts from the lower case half.
15. Discard the defrost door and the lower case half.
16. Install a new coupler, p/n 05019632AA onto the defrost door , p/n 05073964AA.
17. Install the new defrost door into the new lower case half, p/n 05127758AA.
18. Install the actuator and the remaining attaching parts removed from the lower case half, into the new case half.
19. Assemble the case halves.
20. Install the housing and previously removed parts by reversing the removal procedure. Replace the A/C line fitting O-rings.
21. Fill the cooling system.
22. Connect the battery.
23. Charge the A/C system.
Policy: Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.
|Labor Operation No:||Description||Amount|
|24-65-31-94||Replace Lower Housing and Defrost Door||3.2 Hrs.|
I would like to thank Bob Bergevin, Arthur Cantrall, Barry Drodge, David Lovell, Bill Maurits, and Steve for supplying the information for these bulletins. And a big thank you goes to Geno's Garage for making DodgeRam.info possible.
This page was edited on: May 3, 2004