|DodgeRam.info > TSB's > Recalls > Recall 875|
Ignition Switch Wiring
|Visit Geno's Garage
for Truck accessories.
Date: March 2000
Models: 1994-1996 (BR) Dodge Ram Trucks
NOTE: This recall applies only to the above vehicles built at the:
IMPORTANT: Some of the involved vehicles may be in dealer used vehicle inventory. Dealers should complete this recall service on these vehicles before retail delivery. Dealers should also perform this recall on vehicles in for service. Involved vehicles can be determined by using the DIAL VIP System.
The ignition switch and/or steering column wiring on about 710,000 of the above vehicles may overheat when the blower motor is operated at high speed for an extended period of time. This can cause stalling, loss of blower motor or power window operation, ABS or airbag lamp illumination or a steering column/instrument panel fire.
A blower motor relay and overlay harness must be installed to remove the blower motor circuit from the ignition switch. In addition, the ignition switch and electrical connector must be inspected for damage and replaced if necessary.
A. Ignition Switch Wiring Package
CBXR8750 Ignition Switch Wiring Package
Each package contains the following components:
Quantity Description 1 Blower Motor Relay and Overlay Harness 1 Ignition Switch Wiring Pigtail 1 Key Cylinder Retaining Bracket 1 Retaining Bracket Screw 1 Ignition Switch Screw 1 Washer 1 Wiring Clip 3 Push Clips 8 Heat Shrink Tubing 10 Tie Straps
Each dealer to whom vehicles in the recall were invoiced (or the current dealer at the same street address) will receive enough Ignition Switch Wiring Packages to service about 10% of those vehicles.
B. Ignition Switch Assembly
04326622 Ignition Switch Assembly
Each dealer to whom vehicles in the recall were invoiced (or the current dealer at the same street address) will receive two (2) ignition switch assemblies. Additional ignition switches should be ordered only after inspection determines that replacement is required. Very few vehicles are expected to require ignition switch replacement.
A. Inspect for Blower Motor Relay:
NOTE: Very few vehicles are expected to already be equipped with a blower motor relay.
1. Inspect the brake pedal support bracket for the presence of a blower motor relay attached to the brake lamp switch bracket (Figure 1) or locate a blower motor relay that is secured near the brake pedal bracket with a tie strap. NOTE: 1995 model year vehicles that were built with original equipment foglamps will have two (2) foglamp relays mounted on this bracket.
2. If a blower motor relay is NOT found, inspect the area near the 84-way bulkhead connector for a WHITE single wire connector with BLACK ends that connects two PINK with BLACK tracer wires (Figure 2). If the connector and wires are present, follow the wiring harness to locate the blower motor relay that is secured under the instrument panel.
3. If a relay was located in either Step 1 or Step 2, verify that this is a blower motor relay as follows:
a. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position.
b. Turn the blower motor on LOW and verify that the blower is operating.
c. Disconnect the relay.
- If the blower motor stops, this relay is for the blower motor.
- If the blower motor does not stop, this relay is NOT for the blower motor.
d. Turn the ignition switch OFF and connect the relay.
- If a blower motor relay is NOT present, continue with Section B - Inspect Ignition Switch and Wiring.
- If a blower motor relay is present, no further action is necessary. Return the vehicle to the customer.
Completion Reporting and Reimbursement
Claims for vehicles that have been serviced must be submitted on the DIAL System. Claims submitted will be used by DaimlerChrysler to record recall service completions and provide dealer payments.
Use one of the following labor operation numbers and time allowances:
| Labor Operation
|Inspect for blower motor relay||08875181||0.2 hours|
|Install blower relay/overlay harness||08875183||0.7 hours|
|Install blower relay/overlay harness and replace the ignition switch wiring pigtail||08875183||1.2 hours|
|Install blower relay/overlay harness, replace the ignition switch wiring pigtail and the ignition switch assembly||08875184||1.4 hours|
Add the cost of the recall parts package and switch assembly, if necessary, plus applicable dealer allowance to your claim.
NOTE: See the Warranty Administration Manual, Recall Claim Processing Section, for complete recall claim processing instructions.
If you have any questions or need assistance in completing this action, please contact your Zone Service Office.
Thanks to Bob Bergevin for supplying this Recall information.
This page was edited on: May 3, 2004