|DodgeRam.info > TSB's > Recalls > Recall 973 - Secondary Hood Latch|
|Visit Geno's Garage
for Truck accessories.
Date: September 2001
Effective immediately, this recall 973 cancels and supersedes Interim Customer Notice Safety Recall No. 973W - Lubricate Secondary Hood Latch. A new secondary hood latch is now available.
1994-1999 (BR/BE) Dodge Ram Truck
NOTE: This recall applies only to the above trucks built at the:
NOTE: Only the above trucks sold or currently registered in "Salt Belt" states (where large amounts of road salt are used for snow and ice removal) are involved. (See "Owner Notification & Service Scheduling" section for a listing of salt belt states.)
NOTE: 1994 and 1995 model year trucks that were involved in Recall 638 must also have this recall performed.
IMPORTANT: Some of the involved vehicles may be in dealer used vehicle inventory. Dealers should complete this recall service on these vehicles before retail delivery. Dealers should also perform this recall on vehicles in for service. Involved vehicles can be determined by using the DIAL VIP System.
The secondary hood latch on about 793,000 of the above trucks may corrode and bind in the "released position." If the primary hood latch is not engaged, and if the secondary latch binds,, the hood could open unexpectedly, and cause an accident without warning.
The secondary hood latch must be replaced.
Part Number Description
CAXM9730 Secondary Hood Latch
1. Release the hood latch and open the hood.
2. Disconnect the handle-to-latch rod at the secondary latch.
3. Remove the secondary latch mounting bolt (Figure 1).
4. Remove and discard the latch from the hood.
5. Install the new secondary latch and tighten mounting bolt to 95 in. lbs. 11 Nm)
6. Connect the handle-to-latch rod onto the new secondary latch.
7. Cycle the secondary latch several times to ensure that it operates freely.
8. Close the hood and unlatch the primary hood latch. Without touching the secondary latch, pull up on the hood vigorously several times to ensure that the secondary latch engages properly.
Use the following labor operation number and time allowance:
Replace secondary hood latch 23-97-31-82 0.2 hours
Owner Notification and Service Scheduling:
All involved vehicle owners known to DaimlerChrysler are being notified of the service requirement by first class mail. They are requested to schedule appointments for this service with their dealers.
Dealers are encouraged to consider alternative scheduling and servicing approaches for this recall. This repair does not require hoists or other full service facility special equipment and is a DaimlerChrysler Mobile Service approved repair.
Only trucks sold or currently -registered in "Salt Belt" states (where large amounts of road salt are used for snow and ice removal) are involved. The following states are "Salt Belt" states:
Thanks to Bob Bergevin for supplying this Recall information.
This page was edited on: May 3, 2004